As we continue planning for the start of the 2020-21 school year, we would like to share with you some very important information that will assist in determining which learning option will be “best” for your child:
- (Updated 7-28-20) The last day to register for the T-bird Academy is Friday, August 14, 2020.
- The 2020-21 school year WILL begin “on-site” the week of August 24, 2020. The district will continue to transport students to/from school by buses for “on-site” instruction in 2020-21. The district will utilize four (4) brand new air-conditioned buses for bus routes and activity trips. Face coverings will be required to be worn at ALL times by ALL bus drivers and bus passengers.
- The district will be following all health and safety measures recommended for schools such as physical/social distancing, proper hand-washing hygiene, extra hand-sanitizing opportunities, and the wearing of facial coverings by students and school employees.
- Our district will continue the rigorous cleaning of all school buildings, buses, and playgrounds/ball fields, as well as taking additional measures to sanitize ALL classrooms frequently during the school day.
- Our teachers will be utilizing a “blended model of instruction” incorporating digital learning for all “on-site” students in the regular classroom. This method of instruction will ensure that in the event of a COVID-19 closure, or if students/teachers are required to be quarantined, learning can continue in the same manner and seamlessly through “on-line” instruction.
- Teachers will be designing virtual lessons to be interactive for students and user-friendly for students and their families. Unlike the spring semester, ALL “on-line” activities will be graded and counted for credit.
- Families will have the option of enrolling their children in “on-site” classes, or in “on-line” classes through the T-bird Virtual Academy. For families choosing the “on-line” learning option, Google Classroom will be used to deliver the curriculum content for all subject areas and Chromebooks will be issued for use at home.
- Parents/students will be required to participate in an informational meeting and agree to the terms for “on-line” learning prior to enrolling into the T-bird Virtual Academy. Students not meeting the requirement to participate in “on-line” learning will be required to return to “on-site” instruction at their school.
- Students participating in extracurricular activities must attend “on-site” instruction in order to participate in practices and competitions.
- Mr. Waco Hale will be the T-bird Virtual Academy Coordinator for the 2020-21 school year. His role includes communicating with students/families choosing the “on-line” option; assisting teachers with monitoring student learning and assessments; working with the Elementary and High School Principals to ensure that students have the needed Chromebooks/laptops and Internet connectivity for learning; and problem-solving any issues related to “on-line” learning.
- To register your child for fall classes in the T-bird Virtual Academy, go to:
We know that there are still many decisions to be made concerning the start of the school year. We will continue to share this information quickly through our social media sites and the district website - www.gptbirds.org. If you have any question or concerns, please reach out to us at 501-679-7224. We look forward to a fantastic year of learning in the Guy-Perkins School District and T-bird Virtual Academy in 2020-21!
Dr. Joe Fisher, Superintendent